In the last season, Ancelotti led Real Madrid to their 10th Champions League victory, but was sacked after finishing behind Barcelona in La Liga and losing to Juventus in the Champions League semi-finals. The 55-year-old enjoyed 13 successful years with Milan as a player and a manager, and is without job again following his sacking on Monday (25/5).
The coach has previously said he would take a year off after leaving the Bernabeu concerning his health condition after back surgery. However, he is now in line to return to AC Milan, the club who he coached from 2001 to 2009.
“The deadline for a reply is Wednesday, June 3,” told AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani after his meeting with Ancelotti at Madrid’s Wellington Hotel. “Carlo wanted to take a year out, we’re hoping to convince him to accept Milan. He still has some days to think about it, he told me the chances were 50-50.” The vice-president said he would fly out to Vancouver for dinner with Ancelotti to try and secure his services earlier this week. He also seems hopeful that the sacked boss could make an emotional return to his former club.
After holding talks with the former Real Madrid coach for the fourth time in two days, Galliani sounded optimistic that he had done enough to talk Ancelotti into accepting his offer and putting off his plans to undergo a back operation in Canada. “Carlo has the idea of taking a year out, but I hope he will be convinced to accept Milan,” added Galiiani.
The Italian boss told the reporters: “I’ve always got on well with Galliani. We will decide on June 3. Will I take a year off? We’ll see.” During his previous spell with the club, Ancelotti won the Serie A title in 2004 and lifted the Champions League trophies in 2003 and 2007. As well as coaching Milan, Ancelotii won the old European Cup twice as a player in 1989 and 1990.
Ancelotti said he would either stay at Real Madrid or take a year off to undergo surgery on a worsening and urgent health problem. “I don’t know how long the period of recovery will be. But I can assure you that I have had plenty of job offers from Italy, England, and Germany,” Ancelotti added.
Milan are set to end the current season in one of their worst positions in the past three decades, out of Europe for the second straight season.